Monday, April 11, 2011

In the beginning


Let's start with understanding what we are talking about.  Understanding the terms is the first step, so let's take it one step at a time. 

ESL - English as a Second Language
EFL - English as a Foriegn (not first) Language

What is the difference?  I come from New Zealand.  We have two official languages in New Zealand.  English and Maori.  If my brother learned Maori now, it would be his second language.  But could you say it is a foreign language?

In most cases, these two terms overlap.  But not always.
Your first language could be a foriegn language.

If you put a "T" for teaching in front, we get the terms TEFL and TESL.  There is also TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).

This is what I do for a living.  I Teach English as a second, foreign language to students who are speakers of other languages.  As I study this topic PostGrad through a New Zealand university, I will be using this blog to consolidate my thoughts on the subject and to get feedback and opinions from readers so if you have any comments, please feel free to leave them below and let the journey begin.....

No comments:

Post a Comment